The San Antonio Japanese Tea Garden is a place of sanctuary and rich history that dwells in the heart of bustling San Antonio. If you’re looking for a place to relax and appreciate nature, this is it!
The tea garden may take your worries away but certainly not your cash. This venue is free to the public. Here’s everything you need to know about the stunning San Antonio Japanese Tea Garden.
HISTORY OF THE JAPANESE TEA GARDEN
Here’s something you might not know: The gardens in San Antonio were originally located in an abandoned rock quarry.
Ninety years ago, it was used as a limestone supply for the construction of the city’s buildings. Once it was no longer needed, however, it was time for it to take on a new life. Over the years, artists and public officials have worked hard to improve it.
In 1984, the city officially dubbed it “Japanese Tea Garden”, a name given to it by ambassadors from Japan.
Today, it is listed on the U.S National Register of Historic Places and is one of the most beautiful gardens in San Antonio. It’s even a great place to go if you’re looking for things to do with kids in San Antonio.
SAN ANTONIO JAPANESE TEA GARDEN FEATURES
From a limestone rock quarry to a beloved place of culture and rest, the San Antonio Japanese Tea Garden has come a long way from its humble beginnings.
The latest renovation was in 2007, and cost around $1.6 million. Beautiful pathways, lily ponds, exotic plants, a pavilion and more were added, thanks to the donations of residents and the City Public Service Company.
Here are details on what you will find:
- Pavilion – An open area upheld with stone columns and a palm-leaf covered roof. It’s located near the Jungu House restaurant and patio. The pavilion offers the best views in the garden and can accommodate up to 50 visitors at a time.
- Waterfall – Situated in the lower level of the garden, it offers visitors a peaceful location perfect for special events. It can accommodate up to 10 guests only, but will certainly be a memorable spot for photos.
- Jingu House Café – A space ideal for receptions, parties and so on. It features two indoor rooms and a large patio area. Capacity is up to 75 guests at a time. It was renovated in October 2011 and is available for rentals.
TEA GARDEN HOURS & LOCATION
A visit to the San Antonio Japanese Tea Garden does not require payment or reservation, unless you are booking a special event.
How about the tea garden hours? It’s open 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. 7 days a week.
Pets are allowed in open areas as long as they remain leashed.
Finally, you can find the garden at 3853 N St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78212, United States.
Come pay them a visit and bask in the serenity of San Antonio’s own Japanese Tea Garden!
LOOKING FOR MORE THINGS TO DO IN SAN ANTONIO?
We’ve got you covered. Our special deals page is updated regularly, and will give you ideas on how to spend your weekend or even plan a longer trip.
- Comicpalooza is coming to Houston! Check out the 2022 guest lineup, schedules, tickets & more! - July 5, 2022
- Things to do in San Antonio on July 4th – Top 4 Independence Day celebrations for fireworks and live entertainment! - July 4, 2022
- The Public Theater of San Antonio presents the timeless love story ‘She Loves Me’ – Starting May 20, 2022! - May 18, 2022