Each year, the neighborhood in Windcrest lights up with holiday displays that encourage visitors from San Antonio and other parts of Texas to visit. If you have yet to check out Windcrest Christmas lights, why not head over to Windcrest?
The annual Windcrest Light Up is a decades-old tradition in which residents decorate their homes with elaborate displays of holiday lights. The community kicks off this tradition with the lighting of the Light-Up Tree at City Hall and continues with an evening event filled with music, vendors, food, hot chocolate, and photos with Santa. The public is invited to drive along neighborhood streets to view the brightly lit house displays in Windcrest San Antonio.
The Windcrest Lights Up Contest is held to pick the most beautifully decorated homes in various judging categories. Winners and participants of the contest are highlighted on the Windcrest Light-Up Map.
This year, the Windcrest Christmas Lights 2023 promises to be even more spectacular, drawing visitors from far and wide to witness the dazzling displays that have made Windcrest famous.
And, if you want to check out more places with Christmas light shows, check out our article on Best Christmas Lights in San Antonio 2023!
Editor’s Note: Our staff works hard to bring you the most up-to-date information. However, all information in the article below is subject to change. Please verify with the organizers before making plans to head out.
Windcrest Lights 2023 Light-Up Theme: ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas
Early this summer the City announced the theme for the Windcrest Lights 2023 Light Up Season, “ ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,” in honor of the 200th anniversary of the beautiful poem, “A Visit from St. Nicholas,” written by Clement Clarke Moore.
The narrative poem was first published anonymously in the Troy (New York) Sentinel on December 23, 1823. Since it has become a heartfelt tradition shared in many homes. The poem shares the story of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of Christmas, leading to the popularity of the figure of Santa Claus. The Windcrest community also learned about the eight magical reindeer who power St. Nicholas’ sleigh. City management and leadership are looking forward to the artistic and light displays in honoring this holiday tradition.
Windcrest Christmas Lights Dates for 2023
Mark your calendars for all the 2023 Light Up events. This year will be magical!
- Saturday, December 2, 2023: Light Up – Kick-Off Celebration at City Hall, 8601 Midcrown
- Light Up Market | 3:00 pm
- Tree Lighting Ceremony | 6:30 pm
- Monday, December 11, 2023: Light Up Judging Night – Participants need to have lights on by dusk.
- Tuesday, December 12, 2023 | 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm: Mayor’s Light Up Bike Night at 8101 Midcrown Dr.
- Saturday, December 16, 2023 | 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm: HO-HO-HO Market
Windcrest Christmas Lights – Light Up Bike Night
A section of the city will be designated as a bike-only area (except residents in the affected area). This allows citizens and visitors to experience a portion of the great Light-Up Season on a bike without the worry of high traffic. There will be an organized bike route, anyone is free to take their bike into the “bike only” area and enjoy the lights. They encourage everyone to “light up” their bike for this event.
When: Tuesday, December 12, 2023 | 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Where: 8101 Midcrown Dr, San Antonio, TX 78239
Windcrest Christmas Lights – Light-Up Contest & Map
Each year the City of Windcrest offers a map, for a donation to benefit the Windcrest Volunteer Fire Association and various city non-profits, featuring the locations of the “Light-Up” winners. Maps are available at various locations throughout the City during the “Light-Up” season.
- Fire Administration Office, 8601 Midcrown Dr, Windcrest, TX 78239 | 8:00 am – 3:00 pm – Monday to Friday
Light-Up Contest Categories
- Best Street and/or Cul-de-sac – The street and/or Cul-de-sac that has the best overall décor. (Each house in entered in this category may also enter other “individual” categories)
- Craft/Best use of Homemade – Décor The overall best-decorated house utilizing homemade decorations
- Best Multimedia – The best use of choreographed lights, sounds, movies, or animation.
- Best use of Inflatables – The House / Yard that has the best display consisting of inflatable decorations
- Religious – The best-decorated home with a religious theme.
- Best Use of Lights – The house with the best use of lights.
- Most Welcoming – This is the home with the best decorated and most welcoming mailbox and/or, doorway and/or porch area
- Best Business – This is the Business with the best-decorated business in the City of Windcrest
- Best in Show – This would be the overall best-decorated house in the City of Windcrest.
- Best use of Theme – The house that best exhibits the best display consistent with the current year’s theme.
When is the best time to see Christmas lights in Windcrest?
To avoid the crowd it’s best to head over to Windcrest once the sun goes down. This typically has been starting to happen early, but 5:30 p.m. is a great time! The maps are available during normal hours of operation so, you can grab them ahead of time. Windcrest Christmas lights get turned off at 11:00 p.m. each night so, be sure to go before then!
The City of Windcrest Facebook may post updates if you want to keep an eye out for updated information.
Windcrest Light Up Peoples Choice Award
Back by popular demand this 2023! In 2020 the City of Windcrest launched the 1st ever People’s Choice Award. People nominate their favorite decorated house in Windcrest. The house with the most nominations wins this year’s People’s Choice Award.
Stay up to date on all fun things going on in San Antonio with our weekly updates to Things to Do in San Antonio this Week, Things to Do in San Antonio this Weekend, & Things to Do in San Antonio with Kids This Weekend
To have these updates delivered directly to your feed, give us a follow on Facebook by clicking on the …next to the search lens icon
- Plant Nursery San Antonio – A Green Thumb’s Guide To 9 Nurseries in Alamo City! - January 28, 2024
- Romantic Restaurants San Antonio – 20 Places to Spark the Flame - January 28, 2024
- Bowling San Antonio: The Ultimate Guide to 15 of the Best Alleys including Bowlero, Pinstack and More! - January 21, 2024