Disclosure: In partnership with VentureLab, this post is the second in a series about their summer camps. In exchange for learning and sharing about VentureLab’s camps, I am being provided with complimentary camps for my children to attend. No other compensation will be received and all opinions are mine.
Recently I introduced you to VentureLab here in San Antonio, the only STEM-based entrepreneurial camps for kids in the country. Working in teams, kids develop products and services, conduct market research, create marketing plans, and sell their products to make money, all in just one week. Now, you have a chance to win a free week for your child at VentureLab Youth Startup Camp!
First, here are some FAQs about VentureLab, their instructors, and how their camps work:
Q: How long has VentureLab offered camps?
A: This is VentureLab’s second year offering summer camps. They also hold weekend camps and spring break camps each year.
Q: How old should kids be to attend VentureLab camps?
A: VentureLab camps start at five years of age and go all the way up to the age of 18. Kids are divided into teams by age groups:
Q: What are the themes of VentureLab’s summer camps?
A: This summer, camps are offered for kids for the following:
- Youth Startup: Both girls-only and co-ed camps are available. Kids create a product or service as a team, conduct market research, develop marketing plans and/or websites, and sell their product or service, all during the one-week camp.
- Gamer: Kids learn the basics of programming but then take it a step further. They develop a prototype of their game, conduct market research, create the final game, and sell it, all in one week.
- Urban Farmer: Kids work in an indoor space (shipping container) to grow an acre’s worth of produce using hydroponics and blue lights. At the end of the week, they sell their vegetables at a farmer’s market and/or donate it to the San Antonio Food Bank.
Q: How many camp counselors does VentureLab have?
A: VentureLab provides one adult for every five kids. Each age group has one instructor, four counselors and approximately 25 children.
Q: Where do VentureLab camp instructors and counselors come from?
A: Most VentureLab instructors and counselors come from Teach for America, City Year, Trinity University, and UTSA and have backgrounds in education. Prior to camp, VentureLab requires all counselors and instructors to participate in a three-day startup weekend that teaches them entrepreneurial skills. All VentureLab instructors and counselors undergo background checks.
Q: Is lunch provided?
A: Students can bring their lunch or purchase the lunch option for an additional $35 for the week.
Q: What are the hours of VentureLab camp?
A: VentureLab camps run from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Before and after camp care is available from 8-9am and 3-4pm for $50.
Q: Where are VentureLab camps located?
A: Most VentureLab camps are located at VentureLab Headquarters (1112 S. St Mary’s St., San Antonio, TX 78210), although some of the camps for the high school-aged kids are held at Trinity University. Each location is designated with the camps when your register.
Q: How much is VentureLab camp?
A: VentureLab camp is $300 per child for one week. Scholarships are available.
Now, here’s your chance to win a free week of Youth Startup camp from VentureLab and San Antonio Mom Blogs!
- San Antonio Splash Pads, Pools, and Water Parks (2020 Guide) - May 26, 2020
- Natural Bridge Caverns: Coupons, Prices, Hours, and More - May 25, 2020
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas: Coupons, Prices, Hours, and More - May 13, 2020