Many things have been canceled due to COVID-19 and unfortunately, San Antonio is no exception. In light of the current medical climate, San Antonio will either cancel their annual Fourth of July celebration or offer social distancing alternatives.
The San Antonio Department of Parks and Recreation alongside The San Antonio Parks Foundation announced on Tuesday that the San Antonio Fourth of July Celebration and fireworks show at Woodlawn Lake Park will be canceled due to the coronavirus. City officials have announced that hopefully, this cancelation will help to reduce the spread of the virus.
May Ron Nirenberg explains that “We have to remain vigilant to contain this virus. The actions we take now will ensure that we are all around for holidays and celebrations next year,” He continues, “We can still celebrate responsibly this year by practicing physical distancing or wearing a face covering or mask when keeping a distance isn’t possible.”
The President and CEO of the San Antonio Parks Foundation Mary Jane Verette says that “While we’re disappointed that we won’t be hosting a celebration this year, we know this is the best decision for the health and well-being of our community during this COVID-19 environment,”
While the city parks and trails will remain open on the holiday weekend, people are encouraged to keep social distancing guidelines in mind.
Listed below are other parks in San Antonio that will either cancel their Fourth of July celebration or offer an alternative:
- Due to COVID 19, the traditional July 4th Parade has been canceled.
- Olmos Park is encouraging families to participate in Fourth of July celebrations by decorating home, door or yard, draw and color a chalk creation on driveway/sidewalk, or decorate your bicycles in Fourth of July themes.
- The City of Helotes has canceled its annual Independence Day Celebration that was scheduled to take place on July 3. The Independence Day Celebration is the largest event held annually on the grounds at Helotes City Hall, averaging more than 1,000 visitors onsite for the festivities.
- The 4th of July parade is canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Annual Shavano Park Independence Day event has been cancelled due to COVID-19.
- The HPCA 4th of July Event has been cancelled. No parade, picnic or free swim
City of Kirby
- City of Kirby will not be having our Annual Fireworks in the park celebration on July 4th