I met Courtney, with My Crazy Savings, through the SeaWorld Wildside blog ambassador program a few years ago. Courtney’s a mom to three girls and she’s a super savings wizard to boot. I knew she’d have great suggestions for fun things families can do in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. In today’s guest post, Courtney reveals her top five picks for free things to do with kids in DFW:
1. Dallas Museum of Art – Free admission for regular exhibits during regular museum hours. They also have free special family activities on the first Tuesday of each month.
2. Fritz Park Petting Farm – See and pet cows, horses, goats, sheep, chickens, deer, turkeys, rabbits, and even peacocks. You can observe eggs hatching in the incubator and chicks in various stages of development. Watch the ducks and geese play as they swim and dive in the pond. Open from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Sunday (weather permitting) during the months of June and July.
3. Frisco Fire Safety Town – Teach your kids about fire safety by participating in Safe & Sound Walk-Arounds at Frisco Fire Safety Town. Kids can enjoy playing inside a kid-friendly fire engine. On occasion kids can drive power wheels in the mini town and learn the traffic laws. Monday through Friday, starting at 2:00 pm and lasts approximately 30 minutes.
4. Children’s Medical Center of Dallas – Visit the U.S.’s largest permanent model train display. Eight trains run simultaneously at this free exhibit, which is open 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. daily.
5. The Beach and Fountains in Allen at the Village of Fairview – This is a fun spot for kids to play in Dallas. You will find a giant sandbox, playground, and splash pad fountains. The Village Fountains are open daily from 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. There is also a dog park at the beach where your dog can play as well. Tip: We love to get patio seats at Gloria’s (a yummy Mexican restaurant that overlooks the fountains) and we can watch the kids play while we enjoy dinner.
BONUS: Travel around for free!
You can ride the M-Line’s air-conditioned and heated trolleys that run 365 days a year, providing local transit service to Dallas’ vibrant Uptown Neighborhood. All rides, except charters, are FREE. Voluntary fare box contributions are welcomed. Monday – Thursday: 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Friday: 7:00 p.m. am to midnight, Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to midnight, Sunday and holidays: 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Courtney Solstad is local to Dallas, and loves to travel around with her family (one handsome hubby and three little princesses) and explore. She writes about their adventures on her website, MyCRAZYSavings.com. You can also follow Courtney on:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
For more free Texas fun for kids and families, check out:
Five free things to do with kids in Austin, by Heidi with Free Fun in Austin
Five free things to do with kids in Houston, by Jennifer Patrick with Still Living the Dream
Follow Colleen Pence and San Antonio Mom Blogs:
And, don’t miss: